Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The BMW of Single Strings

The name says it all. A piece commissioned by my good friend and sometimes blog photographer Mr. Pat Eves. The face plate is apparently a hubcap from a BMW that Pat had given me to build his new toy. I don’t know how he obtained the hubcap and I am most certainly not asking any questions. There is one piezo pickup placed on the underside of the hubcap just in front of the bridge, and a quarter inch output just to the left of the bridge. This single stringed instrument has the same kind of design as Fat Bob. I used a deeper and wider salad bowl to help eliminate some of the natural metallic sound that these materials can produce. It also looks nice and fat in the back end. I have a thing for fat bottomed instruments.

Slowly the single strings will grow in numbers and one day they will all play together. That’s right, six mighty strings playing at once.

No comments: